Gov. John Bel Edwards issued the following statement as Louisiana’s death toll from COVID-19 surpassed 1,000 Tuesday, April 14. At the state’s noon update, the Louisiana Department of Health reported 129 additional deaths, bringing the death total to 1,013. Not every death reported Tuesday occurred within 24 hours, as reporting to the state may take several days.
Gov. Edwards said, “Today’s death count is the largest we have reported in a single day since this COVID-19 outbreak started and it brings the number of Louisianans we have lost to more than 1,000. That’s 1,013 people who are someone’s mother, father, sister, or brother or child or aunt or uncle. They are our neighbors, friends and coworkers. They are more than just a number on a report or graph, and as our fellow Louisianans, we all grieve alongside their families. “
Gov. Edwards continued, “Our analysis shows that most deaths come 11.2 days after the onset of symptoms, which is why we must look at long-term data and trends. It is also why it is incumbent upon our people to follow the Stay at Home order, because just as the positive things we do now will save lives in the future, the negative things we do could threaten lives as well.”
In addition to the death toll LDH reports 1,977 folks are hospitalized with 436 of those on ventilators. And, there are 21, 518 reported cases in the state, which is 502 more than yesterday.
Natchitoches and Sabine parishes have one more case each as compared to yesterday, bringing the total to 42 cases for Natchitoches Parish and 10 for Sabine Parish . Vernon Parish remains steady at 14 cases.
- Caddo – 1,097 case(s) | 56 death(s) | 148 state tests | 18,596 commercial tests
- Bossier – 207 case(s) | 10 death(s) | 36 state tests | 2,347 commercial tests
- De Soto – 130 case(s) | 7 death(s) | 8 state tests | 155 commercial tests
- Webster – 65 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 8 state tests | 960 commercial tests
- Claiborne – 41 case(s) | 4 death(s) | 20 state tests | 79 commercial tests
- Bienville – 37 case(s) | 6 death(s) | 3 state tests | 81 commercial tests
- Natchitoches – 42 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 20 state tests | 564 commercial tests
- Sabine – 10 case(s) | 0 death(s) | 7 state tests | 92 commercial tests
- Red River – 13 case(s) | 2 death(s) | 29 state tests | 46 commercial tests